January 31, 2011

Laundry!

Meet my new laundry system.


This is Micah’s Grandmother’s old wringer washer.
Why a wringer washer, you may ask. You may also ask if I’ve totally lost it. I have not. There is a reason. There is some issue in the spring house that results in water flow issues in the house. So a regular washer besides lacking proper hookups would drain the cistern. (Hooking up the furnace took priority this fall over the ability for 5 people to take baths in a row or run a load of wash.)

Since the Laundromat it Knox is ridiculously expensive I started visiting family with my laundry basket. Angie and Karen should both get medals for patience.

In the meantime, I looked online and figured that a wringer washer could be a solution since you manually fill it (I use the green garden hose in the picture) and by some estimates it uses 3 times less water. So I started searching on Craigslist for one that worked and I could afford.

But all along there was Grandma’s machine sitting in the barn! Micah found it. We hauled it to the house, and I cleaned it up. This may have been sometime in October. We found out the motor for the agitator and wringer worked but it didn’t drain. (it has a gravity drain, the black hose in the photo) So I fiddled in the drain and pulled out some rocks and a penny. Unfortunately at this point it started leaking. Profusely. Oh, Irony. Lucky me, Micah fixed that too and we got it all set up this last week.

I have now done laundry in my own house for the first time since we came back. Take heart friends and family I will no longer arrive at your house with my laundry basket!!

I’ve only gotten my fingers caught in the wringers once. It’s all part of the adventure.

3 comments:

Brenda's Man said...

You are so retro! I love you!

Anne said...

Ho! what a beautiful antiques I do remember how wringer washer,Clothes can wrap around the wringer and be torn ? Its you're already happened ?He commend is possible to see lady with washer-extractor and twist to see the clothes ( video)

Abi said...

I'll miss your visits :(

Post a Comment